Sesame Chicken Salad with Cucumber Noodles
21 August 2015,07:30:20 BST
For the salad
- 2 tbsp black or white sesame seeds
- 2 cucumbers
- 1 small head of romaine or cos lettuce, shredded into ribbons
- 1 small head of pak choi or 150 g Chinese cabbage, shredded into ribbons
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 250 g cooked shredded chicken
For the sesame dressing
- 5 tbsp sesame oil (not toasted) or extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- juice of 1 lime or 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp raw runny honey
- 1 tsp tamari or sea salt
- 1 finely chopped red chilli, to garnish
1. If no leftover chicken: Roast 2 large chicken thighs at fan 200°C/ Gas mark 7 for 25–30 minutes until cooked, then shred quickly with 2 forks to cool the meat quickly
2. Gently toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan until fragrant. Use a spiralizer or julienne peeler to make the cucumber noodles. Or use a regular vegetable peeler to slice the cucumbers lengthways into wide pappardelle-style ribbons.You might want to cut the long, spiralized strands in half to make them easier to eat.
3. Prepare the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients in a bowl or shaking them together in a jam jar. Add the lettuce, pak choi, spring onion and coriander to a bowl.
4. Pour over the dressing and mix everything together (hands are best). Plate up with some shredded chicken and top with toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.