04 May 2012,14:27:01 BST
Steeped in symbolism since ancient times, pomegranate now has superfood status, thanks to recent research into its healing attributes as listed below:
• Powerful source of antioxidants, especially polyphenols.
• Fights against heart disease.
• Reduced LDL (bad) cholesterol.
• Neutralizes free radicals.
• Reduces the damage to blood vessels by the disease
• atherosclerosis, also known as hardening of the arteries.
• It may also reverse the progression of the disease.
• Pomegranate has a beneficial effect on prostate cancer.
• Helps to prevent evolution of cancer cells.
• helps to lower blood pressure in hypertensive humans.
• Rich with Vitamin C and iron helps to improve
Pomegranate is abundant in antioxidants called punicalagins, which have been shown to prevent several forms of cancer by protecting the body against free radicals, which can damage cells.